Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Beginnings: Bringing Everyone Up to Speed

Thursday, 17 March 2011, I officially became a member of the Army National Guard. After many months of researching, discussing, praying, and analyzing the pros and cons of joining the military, my wife and I decided that this decision would put us in a position to help meet our short-term and long-term goals (personally and professionally).

I have always had what I like to call that "military itch" but never really took that itch seriously. Therefore, I trekked on the past eleven years completing my bachelor's and master's degree while working in local government; currently as the City Planner for the City of Monroe. Something was still missing. November 20, 2010, I married my best friend, Jesica, bought a house in Athens, GA 2 miles from our Best Friends and started living the "Athens Dream":  Football, Restaurants and Extracurricular Activities! Something was still missing. With my personal life fulfilled without any void, I began to think seriously about my professional career and how I saw myself developing and making that "paradigm shift" everyone talks about. I looked at my career at the City of Monroe and the future path that has a lot of potential and professional fulfillment. I also looked at possible career changes two to five years down the road. Then economics came into play. With the state of the economy and unemployment soaring to all time highs the latter of the two did not look so hot in the immediate future. At this point the military really started to make sense. My synopsis of the military changed in and of itself. I started looking beyond the thought of being at war and the possibility of deploying and temporarily leaving my wife, family and friends. I discovered the many opportunities the military offers and many areas appealed to me during my research. I started reading blogs and talking to current and former enlisted and officer personnel. Their insight and experiences have allowed me to come to this decision that I believe will afford me the opportunity to grow as a person and lead to many adventures in the future.

I hope this blog will allow you to share this experience with me. Jesica will be posting as she receives my letters. Take care.

Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment