Sunday, July 24, 2011

BRM (Basic Rifle Marksmanship) LIVE!

18 July 2011

Today started week 1 of 3 of BRM. It also started my platoon's week of Duty squad. 12 of us are on duty squad, which basically sets up all the range activities for the company during training. The duty squad consists of guys that have passed their APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test). Myself and 11 others woke up this morning @ 0315 to begin our duties. We loaded a huge truck with equipment, ice chests, MREs, etc. Then we deliver it to the range for training. This week is BRM, so we set the shooting range up with the proper equipment. Nothing to it, just waking up 45 mins earlier and staying about 2 hours after to clean up.

BRM is good stuff. I don't know about you, but when I think of a soldier, or the Military in general, I think about guns/weapons. So the next 3 weeks to me will seem like that "right of passage" to "soldierhood." I did not get to fire to day because we ran behind schedule. It was nice though hearing the rifles and seeing peoples enthusiasm. The company is working on grouping today and tomorrow. Basically, they are seeing if we know anything about firing a weapon. The company left the range at 16:30, but duty squad stayed until 18:30. I was dead tired when I got back to the barracks. We even missed chow so we had to eat a MRE. Lights out at 2100 and I am so glad.

I can't remember if I mentioned this is my last blog or not, but I got to talk to Jesica last night for the first time in almost 3 weeks! It was very relieving to hear her voice! If everything goes wrong this week, at least I got to talk to her and that alone tops it all!

Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment