Friday, July 15, 2011

A Hot Monday at Ft. Benning, GA and First Aid Test

11 July 2011

Boy did 0400 come early! PT started at 0545 and chow at 0730. We were informed that we were being tested on our first aid classes today. So after chow we had a few minutes to look over our notes. We marched about 2 miles to the First Aid Range. Our first task was to take a 40 question test over Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TC3). This test was a "streamer" event, which basically means the platoon that does the best wins the streamer to place on their platoon flag. I am happy to report that not only did our platoon win the streamer, but we are the only platoon over the past 10 cycles to not have anyone fail. I will be 100% honest and say that I am very surprised that all of our guys passed, but nevertheless I am proud of our whole platoon.

After the test, the whole company, broken down into squads (4-12 soldiers), performed a series of obstacles that simulated combat rescue scenarios and first aid scenarios. The squad I was with passed all of the obstacles, but we really struggled with one. Overall, I thought we did a great job!

We had been instructed to pack an extra pair of ACUs and socks in our Assault bags. Today, I found out why. Around 14:30 today, everyone was soaking wet with sweat. It was miserable. Luckily, no one passed out. I was telling Jesica in my letter to her that I think I am down around 185 lbs now. We pretty much have from 18:00-21:00 to clean wash and recover from today. All is well!

Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment