Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Day 2: U.S. Weapon Systems

29 July 2011
Day 41

Today was a great day! Wake up at 0400 and "light" PT at 0530. The DS's did not want to go hard on us at PT because we have our 2nd APFT tomorrow. This is the most important one. I feel really good about it though. I've been hydrating all day and this evening, so I hope to score at least 230.

Chow was at 0700 and we were off to the range by 0745. This morning we had a class on the 2 weapons we would be firing today. The first one was the M249 SAW and the M240. Both are high powered machine guns. Both can produce over 500 rounds per minute if fired on burst. I was amazed the whole day. First we fired the M249 SAW. This weapon is used in suppressive fire. We were given 100 round to fire at targets on the range. In just three pulls of the trigger I had expended all 100 rounds.

The second weapon we fired was the M240. This machine gun uses a larger round than the M249. The M240 used a 7.62mm round. We also got to expend 100 round each.

Needless to say, I came back to the barracks today a very happy guy! Not everyone gets to fire these weapons everyday. I feel fortunate to have had to the opportunity to do so!

PT test tomorrow AM! Wish the company luck!

Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment