Monday, August 1, 2011

Two Big Challenges Today: Ruck & Pre-Qualification

25 July 2011
Day 37

Today our platoon woke up at 0345 and was outside in formation by 0430 to begin our first challenge of the day: the 8k Ruck March. The 8k Ruck march (roughly 5 miles) began at the barracks and ended at the pre-qualification rifle range, where we would spend the rest of the day. We stopped only once for 10 mins. I personally thought the company did really well. The gear weighed around 30 lbs, so 5 miles of carrying 30 lbs was challenging. We are preparing for the 16k (10 mile) ruck march at the end of the cycle, which will be one of our last big tests. It was very humid this AM, so I was sweating like crazy! I liked marching while it was still dark though, especially when sunrise came around.

The second challenge of the day was Basic Rifle Marksmanship (Pre-qualification). Pre-Qual works pretty much the same as the practice we've had. We were given 40 rounds to hit 40 targets at 3 different positions (prone supported, prone un-supported and the kneeling position).

By the end of the day (16:30), it was my turn at the pre-qual range. This made me happy, as I was struggling a little at first and my weapon jammed twice as well. This gives me confidence going into Qualification day on Wednesday.

We had a locker inspection at 18:00 and the platoon did ok. We have a lot of things to work on. We seem to be getting the "obvious" things right. But the DSs are looking for the small things to be done right! Attention to detail!

Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment