Friday, August 12, 2011

Hand Grenades Qualification

9 August 2011
Day 52

Today was a very exciting day! Wake up at 03:45 (a little early). PT was conducted  at 05:30 and breakfast chow at 07:30. Today was hand grenade qualification. We rucked to the hand grenade range (about 1.5 miles) and began conducting our training. First, we were given a class on the hand grenade. Next, we were given some practice grenades and were judged on our form and actions. The Range Cadre basically told us to throw it like a football or baseball. Fortunately, I could relate to that! Then came the fun part! We were all lined up behind a concrete barrier, and were given instructions on throwing the live hand grenade. When the range cadre handed us the grenade they gave us the "go" sign to run out to our respective bunker. I had bunker #2, which means I threw second. A range cadre (range manager) was there to guide us. When the tower said "lane 2, prepare to throw" that meant me! I flipped the secondary safety, pulled the safety ring, and threw the crap out of the grenade. I made sure to get it as far away from the bunker as I could. About 3-5 seconds later the grenade went off with a "boom" and I was done, but most importantly alive! All of this happened before lunch.

The rest of the afternoon was spent at the grenade range completing stations to qualify with the grenade. Stations such as throws and identifying  types of grenades! All went well with me. I got "go's" on all 7 stations.


We rucked back to the barracks and it began to pour rain. Much needed rain for a very hot week! Getting to bunk early! Catching up on sleep that is much needed!

Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment