Thursday, August 18, 2011

Final Army Physical Fitness Test and Concert Night!

13 August 2011
Day 56

Wake up at 04:00 today and 04:45 was the final formation for the final AFPT @ 05:00. My scores were ok. I scored at 230, which was well beyond passing, but lower than last time. I will be honest...I was lacking motivation this morning for some reason. You know how you wake up some mornings and you just don't have that motivation to be on top of your game? Well, that was me today. As the day went on I got better though.

We had breakfast chow in the barracks area today at 08:00. At 09:00 we continued our Modern Army Combatives training. We learned out to fight with our M16 on both the offensive and defensive side. We also learned several moves in the "clinch" position (basically locking up with the opponent) on both the offensive and defensive side. This lasted until 14:00, with lunch chow at 12:00

At 14:00 hours we were instructed to go to our Platoon Bays and begin packing for our final Field Training Exercise (FTX 3). We had a huge packing list so it took some time to organize our equipment and start the packing process.

We leave on Monday the 15th for FTX. We are being told we will not come back until Saturday morning. I hope that is not true! If it is true, it will be a long week for us; a long hot week!

Tonight, though, we got a little treat! At 18:00 we were bused to a field about 5 minutes from the barracks. A band called "Whiskey Bent" was performing, but the music was the last thing on my mind. The place at pizza, BBQ, ice cream, shaved ice, candy, soft drinks, and my favorite...funnel cakes. Also, Verizon was a sponsor and they had about 50 phones so the soldiers could use them to call home. I was able to talk to Jesica about 15 minutes!! Great time! I also stuffed my face. I ate large pizza, snickers, peanut M&Ms, Reese's, shaved ice, funnel cake, drank a Mountain Dew and Gatorade. Needless to say I was miserable at 20:45 (time we left), but it was well worth it!

Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment